Spring Home Checklist
Spring has sprung and with it comes a full set of new home maintenance requirements. Below you will find some tips and checklists to help keep your home looking great and operating properly!
- Check heat recovery ventilator (HRV)
- Replace the filter every 3 months for the first 2 years
- Replace the filter every 6 months after 2 years
- Regularly check humidifier for potential leaks and replace the filter if necessary
- Change furnace filter; it’s recommended to change every month in the first year
- Test your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
- Change thermostat battery
- Check all ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI)
- If applicable, check sump pump to ensure it is in good working order
- Check basement mechanical; look for any leaks in hot water tanks, furnace, etc.
- Clean out your window wells and swales
- Check eavestroughs and downspouts for any damage or obstructions
- Place downspouts down for proper drainage and clear out any debris, if necessary
- Check for missing, damaged or loose shingles; a professional roofer may be required for closer inspection
- Check siding for any damage and to ensure it is secure
- Check concrete driveway and walkways for frost damage
- Wash and seal driveway as per product recommendations and weather
- Turn on exterior taps; check for any leakage
For more information please visit the Alberta New Home Warranty website to learn more about each step for maintaining your new home.